Friday, June 3, 2011

Dreams− Literally and Figuratively


I’ve been having a plenty of dreams lately. This, I can consider a major improvement, because back in my high school days, I’ve been complaining about how seldom I dream or remember any of my dreams.
Only recently, John Lloyd and Liz Uy starred in my dream. The dream was what I’d call a love story-slash-tragedy filled with bursts of Titanic, jeepney rides and action. After two gun shots, I woke up, seemingly on cue. It was only then that I realized the dream was not real at all − nothing but a fabrication of my subconscious. It felt real, but I guess that’s just the way for practically every dream. 
And last night (or maybe the night before this night), I dreamt that my friend Alissandra became a real-life Esther. For those of you who do not know, Esther’s the seemingly sweet yet manipulative main character in the movie The Orphan. I watched it during a recent sleepover at Sarah’s house. Watch it, and you’ll probably enjoy it (I know I did). At the risk of providing spoilers, Alissandra pretended to be Ate Trish Fernandez in my dream by applying loads of makeup and copying Ate Trish’s mannerisms. It was, ultimately, your typical hide-and-seek dream, involving lots of chasing and adrenaline.
Why am I talking about these? Well,  I secretly envy artists and inventors who came up with astounding discoveries and compositions through their dreams. Did you know that the sewing machine and the story Frankenstein were conceived in ordinary people’s dreams (Elise Howe’s and Mary Shelley’s, respectively)? As I researched a bit further, I discovered that famous author, Stephen King, similarly gets many ideas about plot details during sleep.
One day, I hope I can have my very own “eureka” moment after long slumber. Until then, I guess I just have to keep on dreaming − both while awake and asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment